I'm trying to get my top navigation bar link to popup in a seperate window (equiv target=_blank). According to the sparse documentation I've found, the following should work, but it doesn't. What am I doing wrong?
Yes, I've viewed that and *every other* shred of info related to this, but NOTHING shows an actual example of the "IsPopuplin" parm contained within the <web-item>.
According to all the documents I've scanned, my xml fragment is syntactically correct. I'd try contacting support, but they always refer me to the forums, where everyone else gets directed to ask the same questions.
I'm about at my wits end with this problem. I've tried every suggestions out there. The link shows up and will go to the page, but not as a popup. I don't get any error messages of any sort.
1. I've followed all instructions out there(few as they may be) and the not in the "system-user-nav-bar-sections.xml, "All linkId atributes of link elements must not contain spaces!
Reason: linkIds are used for window names for pop-ups. See JRA-12387 for more details. "
2. I 've checked and recheck my syntax numerous times.
3. Does it matter what section the "web-item" is located in?
4. Does the ordering of the tags inside the "web-item" make a differences.
5. Do any other tags negate the "isPopupLink"?
6. Does anything in my <param name="isPopupLink" value="true"/> have the incorrect case?
7. Doesn't having a corporate license entitle us to any support.
8. etc. etc. etc.
This all seems like it should be mindlessly simple. But trying to find an actual example of this is use seems like an impossibility.
Well.............. I've spend about an hour now , trying various key word combinations to find an answer to this problem, and nothing. I've also spent about 1/2 hour trying every possible combination of isPopupWindow, ispopupWindow, PopupWindow, etc.
Just about every other corporate licensed software we use has support staff in their forums, as a COURTESY to their user base. I'm at the point that I could never recommend JIRA to any of my other clients, unless I really hated them.
Here we are, 19 days later , and still no response from atlassian as to what might be wrong with me simple xml snipet.
I guessing that a response to this seemingly mundane question would take , at most, 2 minutes out of their day. At which point, I'd disappear into the background and cease to plague this forum with my question.